- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Analysis of 'A woman to her lover' by Christina Walsh
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Poetry and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
English GCSE Poetry Coursework
'A Woman to Her Lover' by Cristina Walsh
'A woman to her lover' by Christina Walsh could represent the Duchess response to Duke Ferrara's 'My Last Duchess,' when comparing the three poems it can be considered as a centre-point for comparison. The poem portrays a woman's fight for equality in a relationship but even this step of bravery is blighted by her fear of her patriarchal spouse, rather than making demands she feels that she must first ask and also tempt her 'lover;' to stay with her. It is about a woman ?stating conditions for marriage to her husband. The use of the ?conditional tense throughout the poem makes the poem appear like a ?marriage contract. This is striking because it contains the conditions ?of a marriage contract but from a woman. This would seem extremely odd ?at that period of as women were treated as subservient and marriage ?contracts would be made with men's interests at heart.
The poem itself contains many subtle paradoxes, which show that despite the poetic voice's attempt at equality it exposes her underlying fear of her partner's patriarchal power. The title contains multiple
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Love Poetry (view all)
- The two poems, "First Love," by John Clare and &qu...
- Comparing Sonnets
- Compare and contrast how the writers of "My Last Duches...
- Aileen Wuornos suffers from borderline personality disorder,...
- A brilliant example of a light-hearted love poem is the Post...
- The poem first love is written by John Clare. The thoughts h...
- How do two poems you have studied explore the differences be...
- "Loves Diet" by John Donne
- The poem Go and catch a falling star is written by the humor...
- Love & Loss - analyse and compare two different love and...
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.