- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Follower and Digging
The first 200 words of this essay...
Follower and Digging
Heaney was born on April 13 1939. He was the eldest of nine children. Heaney lived on the family farm, Mossbawn, about thirty miles northwest of Belfast, in County Derry. Heaney is Irish because of this the conflict in Northern Ireland is almost always a backdrop to his work.
Here we will analyse 2 poems by Seamus Heaney called "Digging" and "Follower". We will look at the similarities and differences between these poems. In both these poems Heaney puts emphasis on many subjects related to his life such as his childhood memories of growing up in Northern Ireland and the conflict there. His father also features strongly in both poems as a main influence on his life.
The poem 'Digging' was written by Seamus in 1964 and was one of the first poems he wrote. This poem is about a man looking down on his father digging in the garden both now and in the past. He reminisces about moments in the past of both his father and grandfather digging potatoes.
When the poem 'Digging' begins Heaney is not doing anything. It seems as if he is waiting for inspiration. In the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Seamus Heaney (view all)
- Seamus Heaney has Vivid Memories of his Childhood. Analyse T...
- An analysis of "Follower" by Seamus Heaney
- Compare the poems 'Mid-Term Break' by Seamus Heaney and ' 'O...
- Compare and contrast blackberry picking and death of a natur...
- A comparison of ‘An Advancement of Learning...
- How does Heaney make "Mid-Term Break" such a movin...
- In what ways does Heaney vividly convey feelings of disappoi...
- How does Heaney vividly explore the nature of fear in An Adv...
- Mid-Term Break - Adaption from poem to story
- Mid-Term Break: Critical Essay. Heaney reveals his true fee...
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.