- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Night Over Birkenau Powerful Impression
The first 200 words of this essay...
NIGHT OVER BIRKENAU CRITICAL ESSAY
Task: Many memorable poems leave the reader with a powerful impression of a person, a place or an era. Using a poem which has left you with such an impression, explain what techniques are used by the poet to convey this impression.
"Night Over Birkenau" by Tadeusz Borowski is a poem which leaves the reader with a powerful impression of a place. The poem describes the horrific atmosphere in Birkenau - Auschwitz. Borowski uses a range of techniques successfully throughout the poem to convey his experiences and feelings after seeing and living through the holocaust himself. This brings another level of depth to the poem knowing that the poet has been there and has felt these emotions. Tadeusz Borowski was born on the 12th November 1922, in 1943 he was captured by Gestapo agents and sent to a Nazi medical hospital where they performed experiments on him. In 1944 he arrived at Auschwitz, he worked there until the Americans liberated the camp in 1945. After the war he became a writer and continued his work as a journalist.
In stanza one the poet gives the reader a powerful description of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Other Poets (view all)
- Analysis of 'But These Things Also'
- In the poem Prayer before Birth, the poet Louise MacNeice ha...
- The poem Slow Reader by Vicki Feaver relates her experiences...
- Horses by Edwin Muir
- Commentary on the poem "Slow Reader" by Vicki Feav...
- Compare and contrast Jackie Kays presentation of childhood i...
- An Unknown Girl. Throughout the poem, devices such as symbo...
- W.H.Auden's Shield of Achilles - Short Summary and Analysis
- Poem Commentary On Continuum By Allen Curnow
- In Barter by Sara Teasdale, the author uses many literary te...
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Zoey. University Student.