- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Our Day Out
The first 200 words of this essay...
GCSE Coursework English Literature
Our Day Out!
This play is called Our Day Out. It is about a school trip with a progress class to Conway castle in Wales.
These children are from an inner city school in a deprived part of Liverpool. Along the way the children get into trouble due too bad behaviour. Mrs Kay is the main teacher for the progress class she is shrewd, relaxed and realises that these children need lots of attention and encouragement. However Mr Briggs (who has been asked by the head teacher to go along) is one of the strictest teachers in the school and has little sympathy for, or understanding of the progress class. He also has a very different attitude towards education compared to Mrs Kay. Mr Briggs strongly believes that the children need to be disciplined and thinks that Mrs Kay is more like a 'mother rather than a teacher'. In 1970's when Willy Russell wrote the play there was a lack of money, lots of unemployment, economic recession, erosion of manual and unskilled work, poor education and prospects. Willy Russell uses the conflict between the teachers to show how the education for these
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Miscellaneous (view all)
- Lieutenant Of Inishmore
- Analysis on the character of Margot Frank
- Porphyria's lover analysis
- Look carefully at chapter 11 of Heroes and show how Robert C...
- An inspector calls Arthur Birling Analysis
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.