- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Show how the sense of order on the island deteriorates over the course of novel in 'Lord of the Flies'
The first 200 words of this essay...
"Show how the sense of order on the island deteriorates over the course of novel"
In the novel 'Lord of the Flies' by William Golding we are presented with a group of school boys who are stranded on a deserted island. As the novel progresses we see how their world becomes savage and deteriorates.
In the beginning of the novel Golding shows us how the boys are civilized through the way that authority is established on the island. The boys reach an agreement on making Ralph the leader "Ralph! Ralph! Let him be chief with the trumpet-thing. " A positive base is established where we see everyone determined to escape the island: "This is our island. It's a good island. Until the grown-ups come to fetch us we will have fun." We see collaboration and teamwork between the boys: "Together, joined in effort by the burden, they staggered up the last steep of the mountain." However, towards the middle of the novel, the boys become more distance from their desire of wanting to be rescued "We'll kill a pig and give a feast said Jack" This shows that their priorities change; meat becomes a larger concern.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
William Golding (view all)
- Analysis of Lord of the Flies.
- Fear of the Unknown- Lord of the Flies
- What is the importance of Simon in the story The Lord of the...
- How did the Police try to catch Jack the Ripper?
- What is the importance of Simon in 'Lord of the Flies'
- I will explore how the themes of civilisation and barbarity ...
- Lord of the Flies -Symbolism and the Character of Jack.
- Macbeth by Shakespeare and Lord of the Flies by William Gold...
- How Does Golding Use The Island As A Character In Lord Of Th...
- How does Golding convey the differences between Jack, Simon ...
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.