- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Explain why Hitler attempted a putsch in 1923.
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Munich Putsch Nov. 1923
1. Explain why Hitler attempted a putsch in 1923.
Hitler saw the year of 1923 to be an excellent year to overthrow the government he hated so much. His party, the Nazi's, had strong support and their paramilitary wing, the SA was large and ready for battle. Hitler predicted, correctly (as shown in his trial), that he had large popular support from the people of Germany due to the current failings of the Weimar Republic, the massive hyperinflation, the invasion of the Ruhr etc.
2. Briefly outline the events of Nov 1923.
The main events of the Nov 8-9th putsch took place in a place called the Burgerbraukeller, a large beer hall located on the south bank of the Isar river, about half a mile from the centre of Munich. On the evening of Nov 8 1923, the building was full with the political and social elite of Bavaria who came to listen to the State Commissioner Gustav von Kahr speak.
At around 8pm Hitler drove to the Burgerbraukeller in his red Mercedes Benz and got out to meet with Putzi Hanfstaengl, who
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Germany 1918-1939 (view all)
- Why was Hitler able to become chancellor of Germany in 1933?
- How and why did the holocaust happen?
- Why did Hitler become Chancellor of Germany in 1933?
- What were the causes of World War 2?
- Why did Britain go to war in 1939?
- "Popular support was the man support for Hitler becomin...
- What part did Hitler play in the Nazi parties rise to power?
- In January 1993, Hitler became Chancellor of Germany. Explai...
- Were the people of Germany better off under the Nazi Party?
- Assess the role played by conservative elites in propelling ...
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.