- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Law and order
The first 200 words of this essay...
Jack the Ripper.
Describe Law and Order in London in the late Nineteenth Century.
There was a huge change in law and order in the late 19th century, to being very successful and crime rate dramatically going down. There were only two police forces in Britain, before the Metropolitan Police Force was set up in 1829, the Thames River Police Force and the Bow Street Runners. Towns and cities were growing rapidly and the system could not cope.
The main turning point came in policing when Sir Robert Peel, the home secretary, was convinced of the need for a police force and set up the Metropolitan Police Force. Peel's ideas had a huge affect on police forces and still exist today. The police became known as 'Bobbies' and 'peelers' after there founder Sir Robert Peel. The streets of many British towns and cites would be patrolled by the watchmen and parish constables before the Metropolitan Police Force came about. The watchmen and the parish constables would keep an eye out for trouble and prevented disturbances and would keep it well under control because they knew the people and the town well, however they couldn't
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History Projects (view all)
- Comparison and contrast between Night by Elie Wiesel and Lif...
- Did Medicine Improve In the Middle Ages?
- Jack The Ripper - Law and Order in the late 19th century
- How was the way of life of the Plains Indians suited to the ...
- Investigating the distribution of Pleurococcus on tree trunk...
- A comparison of the how the source booklet provided and my ...
- How reliable is Jonathan Coad's description of Dover Castle ...
- How important is Dover Castle's location? Also take into acc...
- An Estate Agent's Guide To A Roman Villa
- The causes for the decline and fall of the Roman Empire
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.