- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Why did the Night of the Long Knives take place?
Are you in the right place?
Jump to History and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Explain why the 'Night of the Long Knives' took place in June 1934.
On the night of the 29th June 1934, Hitler eliminated the SA, a strong political and military force. He did this by commanding the murder of significant leaders such as R(hm, Scheicher, Strasser, Von Kahr and many more. It has been calculated that more than 200 Nazis were murdered that night, of which included 50 SA leaders. There were several significant reasons behind Hitler's plot to exterminate the SA, which included the ideology of the SA, the power struggle between the army and the SA, Hitler's fear of R(hm overthrowing him and finally because Hitler required the help of the elites to establish a dictatorship. Of these reasons, I feel that the power struggle between the SA and the army was the most critical.
One reason why the Night of the Long Knives took place was due to the ideology of the SA. The SA was promoted as being rather more left wing than what Hitler had intended. The major goal of the SA as a political and military movement was the idea of a 'Second Revolution.' This was a set of radical
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Germany 1918-1939 (view all)
- Was any one of these reasons more important than the others ...
- What was the most important factor for Hitler becoming Chanc...
- Why was Hitler able to become chancellor of Germany in 1933?
- Treaty Of versailles
- Was the Great Depression the main reason why the Nazi Party ...
- Representations of the Nazis in Ben Walsh's cartoon and Will...
- The Nazis Rose to Power in 1933 Due To the Problems that Ger...
- German people benefited from the Nazi rule. Do you agree?
- Evaluate the Success of the Nazi attempt to change German so...
- Describe the steps by which Hitler transformed himself from ...
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.