- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Comparing the Enthalpy Changes of Combustion of Different Alcohols.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Comparing the Enthalpy Changes of Combustion of Different Alcohols:
The enthalpy change of combustion of a fuel is a measure of the energy transferred when a mole of the chosen fuel burns completely. The value for the enthalpy change in a fuel can be found by using the burning fuel to heat water and using the fact that 4.2J of energy are required to heat 1g of water by 1oC. In this activity I am going to find the enthalpy change of combustion for 5 alcohols: Methanol (CH3OH), Ethanol (C2H5OH), Propan-1-ol (C3H7OH), Propan-2-ol (C3H7OH) and Butan-1-ol (C4H9OH). I am doing this to investigate how molecular structure of a molecule affects its enthalpy change.
- Spirit Burners containing:
- Small Copper Can or other metal container to act as a calorimeter
- 0-110oC Thermometer
- 50 cm3 Pipette + Pipette filler
- Access to a balance
- Bunsen Burner with Splints
- Draught Shielding
- Clamp Stand
- Burn-Proof Matt
- Distilled Water
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Organic Chemistry (view all)
- Comparing the Enthalpy Changes of Combustion of Different Al...
- Titration experiment - write up
- Comparing the enthalpy changes of combustion of different al...
- To investigate the amount of heat released in the burning of...
- Design- Rate of Reaction
- Formation of Aspirin
- Vitamin C Investigation.
- Fertilisers are substances that supply plant nutrients or co...
- Compare and Contrast the properties and reactions of Butane ...
- GCSE Chemistry Revision Notes - everything!
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.