- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Find out how halogens are used in the manufacture of herbicides and polymers and environmental problems associated
The first 200 words of this essay...
Find out how halogens are used in the manufacture of herbicides and polymers and environmental problems associated.
Organohalogen compounds are organic compounds that contain at least one halogen (fluorine [F], chlorine [Cl], bromine [Br], or iodine [I]) bonded to carbon. They are subdivided into alkyl, vinylic, aryl, and acyl halides. In alkyl halides all four bonds to the carbon that bears the halogen are single bonds; in vinylic halides the carbon that bears the halogen is doubly bonded to another carbon; in aryl halides the halogen-bearing carbon is part of an aromatic ring; and in acyl halides (also called acid halides) the halogen-bearing carbon is doubly bonded to oxygen.
Organohalogen compounds differ widely in chemical reactivity, depending on the halogen and the class to which they belong, and they may even differ within a class. A halogen substituent is considered a functional group, and the transformations of organohalogen compounds rank among the most important in organic chemistry. Many organohalogen compounds, especially organochlorine compounds, are important industrial chemicals; they are used as solvents and pesticides and as intermediates in the preparation of dyes, drugs, and synthetic polymers. More than 1,500 organohalogen compounds have been identified as naturally occurring
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Living Things in their Environment (view all)
- Heat loss from animals
- Explain the factors that affect the distribution of plant an...
- A2 Biology Coursework -Investigation into the effect of diff...
- An Investigation into a Woodlice's Preferred Choice of Envir...
- Measurement of the vitamin C content of fruit juices
- To deal with the problem of overpopulation caused by overbre...
- Is eating the best solution to deal with over-breeding speci...
- Where are all the bees?
- Dissecting an Owl Pellet Lab
- The aim is to record the data growth of Duckweed and see wha...
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.