- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Investigating the causes of Corrosion to Iron.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Investigating the causes of Corrosion to Iron
I believe that iron needs both oxygen and water in order to form iron oxide (rust). I also believe that iron oxide formation will not occur when neither oxygen nor water is present (test tube numbers 2, 3, 5, and 8).
Certain factors can affect the reaction rate: limiting reactants i.e. the amount of water, oxygen and iron present and higher temperatures cause a faster reaction rate.
Other reactants may change the reaction completely or alter the reaction rate. In order to test this I added magnesium and salt. Different concentrations of these reactants (diluted and saturated) should also change the reaction rate.
Iron can be coated by a more reactive metal i.e. zinc. This is called galvanization. The zinc is higher up in the reactivity series which causes the oxygen and water to react with the zinc. This is called sacrificial protection because the zinc sacrifices itself to protect the iron. Zinc is often used to protect iron.
The formula for this reaction is:
Oxygen + Iron + Water ? Iron Oxide
O2 + 2Fe + H2O ?
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Aqueous Chemistry (view all)
- Conductivity Lab. Purpose: To determine which substances a...
- pH Lab Report - testing household liquids
- Titration - The aim of this experiment is to determine the v...
- Rate of Reaction between Sodium Thiosulphate and Dilute Hydr...
- Does caffeine affect heart rate?
- Precipitation of Salts & Identification of Unknown Solut...
- Separation Of A Mixture of Salt, Sand and Iron Filings
- Decomposing Malachite. Purpose: To test the assumption that...
- How does temperature affect the dissolving rate of a sugar c...
- AIM: To study the effect of solid impurities on boiling poin...
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.