- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Investigating the Effects Enzymes In Potato Have on Hydrogen Peroxide Solution
The first 200 words of this essay...
Investigating the Effects
Enzymes In Potato Have on
Hydrogen Peroxide Solution
My aim is to investigate the effects, enzymes in potato have on Hydrogen Peroxide.
In my investigation I could of used liver, but I will use potato instead. I have chosen to use potato because with potato I can time it. With liver I cant time it as it reacts with hydrogen peroxide quickly.
What are enzymes and how do they work?
Enzymes are biological catalyst, which speeds up the rate of reaction. Enzymes break up food so they can pass through easily. Enzymes, which break down starch, cannot break down protein or fat. There are three types of enzymes they are:
> Lipase: converts fats (big molecule) into fatty acids (small molecule).
> Protease: converts protein (big molecule) into amino acid (small molecule).
> Carbohydrase: converts starch (big molecule) into glucose (small molecule).
Enzymes work in three stages, these stages are:
1. Firstly the substrate (food) molecule moves into the enzyme lock.
2. Secondly the substrate fits enzyme forming an enzyme-substrate complex.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Life Processes & Cells (view all)
- Investigating Enzymes and the effects of different variables...
- The Effect of pH on Catalase
- Investigating the breakdown of hydrogen peroxide by the enzy...
- effects of substrate concentration on the activity of the en...
- The effect of temperature on the rate of an enzyme-catalysed...
- AIM: To determine the concentration of ascorbic acid in oran...
- Anatony and Physiology - cells in the human body.
- The hypothesis is the optimum pH level for the enzyme Amylas...
- Science Biology Revision Notes - Nutrition in plants and the...
- Osmosis in potato cell lab report
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.