- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Standardization of sulphuric acid.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Chemistry and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Title: Standardization of sulphuric acid
To define the unknown concentration of the sulphuric acid, sodium carbonate solution is used as a standard basic solution to undergo titration. A titration can find out the volume of the sodium carbonate solution which is used to neutralize
a specific volume of sulphuric acid in the conical flask or vice versa. The result will be the same as we are objective to define the number of moles of reactants. The number of moles of sulphuric acid can be calculated base on the mole ratio 1:1 for sodium carbonate solution to sulphuric acid in the neutralization. We put sodium carbonate solution in burette and acid in conical flask because less acid should be used for the sake of safety.
This time, sodium carbonate is used as a primary standard. A primary standard is a substance which can be used for the direct preparation of a standard solution. This is due to several advantages that sodium carbonate persists:
First, it is obtained in high degree of purity. Then, it is stable and unaffected by the atmosphere which implies that the purity will not
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Aqueous Chemistry (view all)
- Conductivity Lab. Purpose: To determine which substances a...
- pH Lab Report - testing household liquids
- Titration - The aim of this experiment is to determine the v...
- Acid-Base titration of Sulphuric acid and Sodium Hydroxide
- An investigation into the factors affecting the temperature ...
- Precipitation of Salts & Identification of Unknown Solut...
- Separation Of A Mixture of Salt, Sand and Iron Filings
- Decomposing Malachite. Purpose: To test the assumption that...
- How does temperature affect the dissolving rate of a sugar c...
- AIM: To study the effect of solid impurities on boiling poin...
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.