• Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

Revision notes on Electricity.

Extracts from this document...


Electricity: Two materials can become charged by friction when they are Rubbed Against Each Other. The materials must be insulators. Become charged with Static Electricity, means that the electricity stays on the material and doesn't move. If two materials are rubbed together and become charged, then Electrons are 'scraped off' one material and put on the other material, leaving one of the materials Negatively Charged and the other material Positively charged. All electrical circuits have a Cell, Battery or Power Supply to provide the Electrical Energy and Electrical Devices (Components) which need this energy to make them work. Flow of electrons around the circuit is called an Electric Circuit and it can be measured by using Ammeter. ...read more.


The magnetic field formed is very similar to a bar magnet and so one end of the coil becomes a north pole and the other end becomes a south pole. Increasing The Number Of Coils, Increasing the Electric Current And Placing a Peace of Iron Inside the Coil Increases the Strength of the Electromagnet. Forces: Air Resistance This is the force that pushes against a moving object As It passes Through Air. As for friction , Air Resistance tries to Slow Down the moving object. Forms of Energy: Light - Energy given out by any hot object. Sound - Energy created by any Vibrating Object. ...read more.


Energy: Whenever energy is transferred from one form to another some is wasted - usually as heat and often sound which spreads out and can't be used again. Although the amount of energy measured in Joules to begin with is always Conserved, which means there is still the same amount of energy before and after transfer. Light: We can see Luminous Sources, because the light they give out enters our eyes. We can see Non-luminous Objects, because light from a luminous sources is reflected off them into our eyes. Reflection of the light: Light changes direction when it crosses a Boundary between one Transparent Material and another providing, they are different materials unless it meets the boundary at 90?. MARY KORYAKINA 9B ...read more.

The above preview is unformatted text

This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our GCSE Electricity and Magnetism section.

Found what you're looking for?

  • Start learning 29% faster today
  • 150,000+ documents available
  • Just £6.99 a month

Not the one? Search for your essay title...
  • Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

See related essaysSee related essays

Related GCSE Electricity and Magnetism essays

  1. Electromagnetism - investigating what effect increasing the number of turns in a coil on ...

    The other is the amount of weights I will put on the electromagnet; these will change because I will be adding more to find the weight the magnet is capable of holding. All of the other factors that could be variables if I wanted them to be will be kept the same throughout the main experiment.

  2. Science + Chemistry revision + Electrostatics

    Capacitance is fixed value for a given capacitor. C=Q/V C measured in farads Capacitor stores charge and cannot produce charge. Lightning is a huge capacitor, one plate is the cloud and other plate is the ground. The lightning is the charge.

  1. Choosing a light source

    Advantages: They give out 99% of their light to their surroundings and they lose the other 1% as heat. The cost of running this light bulb is a lot less then any other light bulb. They are long so it provides more light.

  2. Alternate Forms Of Energy In Relation To The Generation Of Electricity

    The Severn estuary, with its tidal rise of 8.8 m, could generate 7% of the UK's electricity demand; however, the capital cost, estimated as � 8 billion, is regarded as prohibitive, although French experience with their tidal power station on the River Rance indicates a payback period of only 16 years.

  1. Energy revision notes

    A packet of crisps or a small chocolate bar each contain about 600,000 joules of chemical energy. 1 kilojoule (kJ) = 1000 joules. Although energy can be changed from one form to another, the amount of energy stays the same, as energy cannot be created or destroyed.

  2. Physics Revision

    if there is a break in the circuit, charge stops flowing * * A = V/R * The potential difference of the supply is shared between all the components in the circuit. Parallel Circuits * For components in parallel: o The potential difference is the same across each component o

  • Over 160,000 pieces
    of student written work
  • Annotated by
    experienced teachers
  • Ideas and feedback to
    improve your own work