- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
To determine the rate law for a chemical reaction among hydrogen peroxide, iodide and acid, specifically by observing how changing each of the concentrations of H2O2, I- and H+ affects the rate of reaction.
- Essay length: 3652 words
- Submitted: 31/03/2006
The first 200 words of this essay...
Name: Tonny, Chan Kar Yu, Student ID: 10297729
Date of Experiment: 3rd December 2004, Group: B1
Title: Experiment 3 - Chemical Kinetics
1. To determine the rate law for a chemical reaction among hydrogen peroxide, iodide and acid, specifically by observing how changing each of the concentrations of H2O2, I- and H+ affects the rate of reaction.
2. To examine the effects of temperature and a catalyst on the rate of reaction.
Chemicals and Apparatus:
0.8M hydrogen peroxide containing 0.001M sulphuric acid, 0.05M sodium thiosulphate(Na2S2O3), 0.05M potassium iodide, solid potassium iodide, 2.0M sulphuric acid, 0.05 acetic acid & sodium acetate buffer, 0.30M acetic acid, 0.02 Mo(VI) catalyst (containing 1.76g/L of ammonium hyptamolybdate ([NH4]6Mo7O244H2O)), 0.1% of freshly prepared starch solution, water bath at 40, electronic balance, 5.00cm3 pipette, 25cm3 pipette, 50.0cm3 burette, white tile, 125cm3 conical flask, 250cm3 conical flask, 250cm3 beaker, 10cm3 measuring cylinder, glass rod, 50cm3 measuring cylinder, thermometer and stop watch.
A description of the sequence of steps by which a chemical reaction takes place is called a reaction mechanism. Many studies go into trying to determine possible mechanisms. The rates at which reactions take place provide
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Patterns of Behaviour (view all)
- Investigating the Rate of Reaction - Sodium Thiosulphate and...
- Investigation exploring rates of reaction, using the reactio...
- Sodium Thiosulphate + Hydrochloric Acid Coursework
- When Sodium Thiosulphate and dilute Hydrochloric acid react ...
- How does changing the concentration of hydrochloric acid aff...
- Rate of Reaction - Formation of Sulfur
- Investigating how the concentration of acid affects the rate...
- Hypothesis - I am going to be examining how much energy is t...
- Investigating the rate of reaction between hydrochloric acid...
- History of the Periodic Table
""Zoey. University Student.
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.