- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
What effect does the sucrose concentration have on osmosis?
- Essay length: 3946 words
- Submitted: 21/12/2008
The first 200 words of this essay...
Osmosis Coursework: What effect does the sucrose concentration have on osmosis?
Aim of Investigation: Investigating osmosis in potato chips in relation to the concentration of the solution that the chips are tested in.
What is osmosis?
Osmosis is the net movement of a liquid across a selectively permeable membrane from a solution/area of a high concentration to a solution with a lower concentration.
Osmosis is a type of diffusion that involves a liquid (usually water) rather than other state's (solid or gas) of molecules. So in full, Osmosis is the diffusion of a solvent through a semi-permeable membrane from a dilute to a more concentrated solution.
What is sucrose?
Sucrose is sugar which is found as a disaccharide naturally in many plants. It is used for production of sugar.
Formula of Sucrose: C12H22O11
What is a disaccharide?
A disaccharide is a sugar consisting of two linked monosaccharide units.
What is a monosaccharide?
A monosaccharide is a simple sugar such as glucose or fructose that cannot be broken down into simpler sugars.
The effect of sucrose concentration on water and osmosis
Water always travels from a high concentration
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Green Plants as Organisms (view all)
- An investigation into the effect of light intensity on the r...
- Plant adaptations to habitats.
- Testing a leaf for starch experiment
- Physics coursework : temperature change of water heated with...
- Factors affecting Germination
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of cloning plants?
- Osmosis investigation. My prediction is that as the concent...
- Which seed will germinate faster a corn or bean in tap water...
- What is photosynthesis? Experiments that discovered the pro...
- Experiment Report on Best Fertilisers
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.