- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Chemistry Lab report (enthalpy changes)
The first 200 words of this essay...
1) Aim: To determine the enthalpy changes for three alcoholic fuels.
2) Background knowledge: Heat of combustion of a substance is defined as the amount of the heat liberated when one gram mole of the substance is completely burnt. It is measured in kilo calories. A known quantity of alcohol is made to burn and the heat liberated is used in raising the temperature of water the amount of heat liberated can be calculated, from which the heat of combustion of alcohol is calculated.
5) Spirit lamps (with each of the fuels separately), copper Calorimeter with stirrer, retort stand with clamps, tripod stand, thermometer, windshield, measuring cylinder (100 ml)
* Weigh the spirit lamp, containing the given amount of the alcoholic fuel accurately (including the flame cap).
* Using a measuring cylinder, pour 100 ml. of water in the Calorimeter.
* Keep the Calorimeter on a tripod stand, suspend the thermometer in water and record the initial temperature of water.
* Keep the spirit lamp below the calorimeter and adjust the height of the spirit lamp
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Chemistry (view all)
- Green House Effect
- Separation of Amino Acids by Thin Layer Chromatogrpahy
- Acids/Bases Design Lab. How does a change in the pH value of...
- Observing Emission Spectra
- The purpose of this experiment was to find how many atoms th...
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.