- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Economics Macro commentary
The first 200 words of this essay...
Title: Ferry operators ask for Subsidy
Source: The Jakarta Post
Date of publication: 06th February 2009
Section of the syllabus: Microeconomics
Word Count: 711
The article talks about the Ferry operators in Indonesia asking for subsidy from the government due to several reasons.
27.5% of Ferry fare income was on fuel costs thus, the government decided to cut the fuel cost by 3.5% and expected a fare cut. However, the operators have other reasons to this; the cut in fuel simultaneously increased other costs such as maintenance and minimum wage hike. "If these four costs are added together, ferry fares should have not been cut by 3.5 percent but raised by 9.8 percent."
If the government doesn't concede the ferry operators demand then they would be left with two options:
1) Cut in wages cost:
Ferry operators would have to reduce working hours from two 12-hour shifts a day to two 8-hour shifts which will result in a decrease in wage costs. Otherwise some workers will have to be laid off due to cost cuts causing unemployment. The other aspect to this is that some people
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Economics (view all)
- Explain the Main Sources of Market Failure that Can Occur in...
- Economics IA Commentary - Market Failure. Household energy ...
- Economics IA Commentary - Protectionism. Title of Extract: ...
- Explain why the government might choose to grant a subsidy t...
- Economics Commentary- Market Failure. In the article, the n...
- Current account surplus/deficit - problems and solutions
- International Trade Economics Commentary. In hope of shifti...
- Macroeconomics Economics Commentary - patterns in America's ...
- This essay will evaluate the concept of what negative extern...
- Economics Essay on Supply and Demand and the operation of ma...
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.