- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Storyteller This poem is a descriptive poem, which illustrates the effect of storytelling on the human mind.
The first 200 words of this essay...
This poem is a descriptive poem, which illustrates the effect of storytelling on the human mind. The poet creates a setting of village life where the only form of evening entertainment was oral storytelling. The poet seems to be talking about a time before electricity made watching television possible. The whole poem has a nostalgic tone.
The poet creates an ambience and a mood for storytelling. It would be late evening when 'the last crumb of daylight was salted away'. In preparation for the storytelling session after supper, the women would clean up the kitchen, rub the table clean and place the 'cracked delft' back on the dresser. The reader can actually hear the sweeping motion of this process because the poet uses alliteration - she sat down / at the scoured table /in the swept kitchen / beside the dresser with its cracked delft'. The 's' sound is being repeated.
The poet uses a metaphor to describe how in the act of sweeping, even the last rays of sunlight are cleared away. The daylight is compared to the last crumbs that are brushed off the floor.
The silence of the night is broken
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
World Literature (view all)
- To What Extent Do The Writers From The Books 'The Last Night...
- King Lear Passage Analysis Act IV, Scene 7 (lines 26 - 69)
- Life of Pi Commentary IB A HL
- Lost Hope; Analysis of The Waste Land by TS Eliot
- COMPARE THE WAYS IN WHICH IMAGERY IS USED TO BRING OUT FEMIN...
- Different aspects of the work Chronicles of a Death Foretold...
- How does Barker explore the impact of war in this extract fr...
- George Orwell - Shooting an Elephant. Discursive Questions.
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn portrays the corruption of the Soviet...
- Song of Solomon: How does Toni Morrison reveal flight as a w...
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.