- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
A Critical Appraisal of the Concept of Medicalization for Understanding Dementia.
- Essay length: 4474 words
- Submitted: 19/06/2006
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Social Psychology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
A Critical Appraisal of the Concept of Medicalization for Understanding Dementia
The aim of this paper is to critically appraise the use of the concept of medicalization, as used by sociologists to examine dementia. It will examine medicalization and dementia and the association between the two. Three papers that have used medicalization to understand and explain dementia will be examined. The papers will be critically appraised on the strengths and limitations of the author's application of the concept. The study will use the arguments raised in the three papers to conclude whether the concept of medicalization can be used to understand dementia.
Sociologists have been concerned with medicalization for over three decades. The earliest mention focused on the medicalization of deviance (Pitts 1968). However, sociologists soon saw the concept's applicability to a wide range of human problems that had entered into medical jurisdiction (Friedson 1970; Zola 1972; Illich 1976). Medicalization simply describes a process by which non-medical problems become defined and treated as medical problems, usually in terms of illnesses or disorders. Although the literal meaning of the phrase is 'to make medical', it has most frequently been used in the context of a critique
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Psychology (view all)
- Critically evaluate trait theories of personality.
- Discuss the statement that adolescence is a period of Storm ...
- Explain the importance of team building, the stages in the d...
- The Black Box Model.
- Perspectives on Authoritarianism.
- Psychological Identity Theory
- In The Future of Love by Barbara Graham, she cites a variety...
- The Behavioural Activation System: lateralization of the BAS...
- Emotions and facial processing of emotions
- Are humans naturally aggressive or do we learn to be aggress...
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.