- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Irish Food Processing Industry.
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Irish Food Processing Industry
Competitiveness of the prepared consumer foods sector
The competitive performance of the prepared consumer foods sector has already been outlined. A Porter analysis was also carried out to analyze the factors leading to the emergence and growth of the sector over the past decade. A survey of firms in the sector was carried out in order to assess company strategies, company performance and factors that facilitated and inhibited growth. The impact of future policy and industry changes on competitiveness was also evaluated and the needs of the sector identified.
1. Raw materials: Ireland has a reasonable endowment of high-quality, indigenous raw materials (such as dairy ingredients, meat, poultry and fish) which forms the basis for the prepared consumer food sector. The processed meat sector has benefited from Ireland's traditional strength in meat production, along with historically high per capita consumption of meat products in the home market.
2. Peripherality: Ireland is at a disadvantage with regard to its peripheral location and low population density. Higher energy, natural gas and transport costs in relation to the UK are a source of competitive disadvantage (Forfás, 1998). Higher costs have
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Marketing (view all)
- Does OPEC have a monopoly in the supply of oil?
- Chapter Notes on Marketing Management by Philip Kotler 10th ...
- P1: A description of Cadbury's and their aims and objectives
- What are the main differences between classical and operant ...
- Analysis and Development of Porter's Five Forces Model.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.