- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Does Fabota qualify for statehood under Montivedeo Convention? If not does it qualify under a sufficient number as to be a state under UKrecognition principles? And thirdly, does other state recognition play a part?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Public International Law
Kings College London
The questions that I will focus on in this essay are firstly 1) does Fabota qualify for statehood under Montivedeo Convention? If not does it qualify under a sufficient number as to be a state under UK recognition principles? And thirdly, does other state recognition play a part?
It is difficult to identify criteria for statehood that are universally accepted, therefore as is demonstrated in this question, some states' criteria may be satisfied and would qualify as a state, while other countries like the UK still question Fabota's claim to statehood.
The Montevideo Convention on Rights and Duties of States 1933, attempts to establish a criteria for statehood, by stipulating in Art 1 that a state as a person of international law should possess the following qualifications, a) a permanent population, b) a defined territory c) a government and d a capacity to enter into legal relations with other states.
I will discuss these criteria in detail and its application to Fabota and its claim to statehood when advising the British Government whether it should qualify for recognition.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International Law (view all)
- Human Trafficking In Australia. This essay will be covering...
- International Law - Does International Law Exist
- What is international law; how has it developed over time; i...
- Montevideo convention and criteria of statehood
- Describe the causes and effects of marine pollution. Explain...
- What are the key challenges to governance of Internet commer...
- How significant is the concept of party autonomy for commerc...
- Critically assess any two provisions of Rome I and evaluate ...
- Critically compare and contrast the common law and Brussels ...
- Critically examine two bases of jurisdictions under the Brus...
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.