- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
EU - problem question
- Essay length: 3553 words
- Submitted: 18/04/2010
The first 200 words of this essay...
The European Union Law Assignment
17th December 2009
The problem question evidently concerns enforcement of community law, preliminary rulings and remedies.
In order to effectively approach the question I will firstly outline the steps available to the Commission to enforce EU law, namely the procedure under Art 226 EC. Secondly I will examine how successful the Commission is likely to be, with regards to the remedies that are available to them, through an analysis of the relevant case law.
What steps can the Commission take in order to enforce EU Law? Are they likely to be successful, and if so, what remedies are available to them?
The consistent application and thereby the effectiveness of EC law cannot be assured whilst lacking efficient enforcement mechanisms. In order to ensure that both Member States and EU institutions comply with their obligations under the Treaty, there are a number of approaches the Commission can adopt. We will focus on the "indirect" actions under Art 226 (EC), which concerns infringement proceedings:1
'If the Commission considers that a Member State has failed to fulfill an obligation under the Treaty, it shall
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
European Union Law (view all)
- What is the meaning of the term 'measure equivalent to a qua...
- Council Directive 2004/707 on transporting retired people (f...
- The rule against the horizontal direct effect of directives ...
- FREE MOVEMENT OF GOODS WITHIN EU
- Eu Directives Problem Case. Difficulties arise in situations...
- What does Dr. Symeonides mean when he characterises Rome II ...
- Critically assess the enforcement actions by the Commission ...
- What was the relationship between the Factortame case and th...
- How did the provisions of Part II of the Merchant Shipping A...
- Why was Article 13 of the Convention left out of the Human R...
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.