- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Human rights, racism, hate crimes and the case of the holocast denial.
The first 200 words of this essay...
ASSMA AZAM WEEK 17
SC304 PRESENTATION: HUMAN RIGHTS, RACISM, HATE CRIMES AND THE CASE OF THE HOLOCAST DENIAL
Today's presentation is focused on the debates and conflict surrounding the right to be allowed freedom of expression and the rights to freedom from acts of violence, threat, and hostility -be it in the form of physical or verbal abuse. Striking a balance between the goals of eliminating any form of discrimination and protecting freedom of speech has always been a serious preoccupation in international human rights law. Although the 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights protects freedom of expression and opinion and information in its article 19- it also includes a counterbalance in the general clause on permissible restrictions "in a democratic society" contained in its article 29. I shall begin the presentation with a definition of hate crimes.
HATE CRIMES: include campaigns of anti-Semitic, anti-black, xenophobic, and all kinds of criminal conduct motivated by such prejudices. Before, the 1980s, the term hate crime did not exist- as a term and as a legal category of crime is a product of increased racial consciousness in contemporary society. In recent years, racial hatred has intensified in ways
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Jurisprudence (view all)
- Explain Bentham's view of Utilitarianism.
- Argumentative essay - Corporal punishment should not be re-i...
- Marriage in the 21 century
- Unlawful Act Manslaughter
- Section 3 of the Human Rights Act 1998 has imposed a new met...
- This essay will look at what is meant by the Common Sense of...
- In this essay I am going to discuss Lord Woolfs statement in...
- Jurisprudence - Conjoined Twins - Evaluate the contention th...
- Offences Against the Person. Case note regarding R. v Brown ...
- The death penalty is an effective punishment for the worst c...
""Zoey. University Student.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.