- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
What is NetSpeak?
The first 200 words of this essay...
What is NetSpeak?
Netspeak is a phrase coined by David Crystal (Crystal, D. 2001). It is the name given to the type of communication used in chatrooms and in messaging software such as msn messenger. It is utilised due to the nature of text taking longer to type than say. Plus it is sometimes very difficult to determine the tone of voice used by someone communicating through text. A new way to communicate was required that would be faster to type and could also be manipulated to include feeling to the words. The new language being NetSpeak. This language uses a combination of abbreviations (including words created using digits as well as alphabetic characters), acronyms and emoticons.
Abbreviations and acronyms are used to speed up the typing of messages.
The following is a list of examples of the types of abbreviations used:
* u = you
* ur = your
* u r = you are
This is a good example as the difference between 'your' and 'you are' is only a space, a small difference but the meaning is different and probably important in
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Electronic Media Studies (view all)
- Illustrate some of the advantages and disadvantages of the u...
- Research Proposal on Database Usability Issues
- User Generated Content and Web 2.0. Does the rise of Web 2....
- Nagoya, 2005 Aichi Expo
- Impact of Internet On Society With Special Review On Home-Sh...
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.