- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
Department of Hospitality Tourism & Leisure Management
Academic year 2007/2008
TOPIC: Social Sciences for hospitality managers
"Social science is the process of explaining, describing, and predicting how individuals and groups act and behave." (http://maps.csc.noaa.gov/socialscience_2/ intro.jsp). Some of the most challenging decisions in management depend between people.
According to Rita Carmouche & Nancy Kelly, the hospitality Industry has frequently been described as a "People industry". Effective management is therefore about working with people. And of course people differ as individuals. As Laurie J Mullins said "People are not all made the same way. They are not all rounded. Some are angular, some are difficult, and you have to fit in with them and their personality". Our case study below is a great example which will verify the author sentence which we had just mentioned.
CASE STUDY: "CO-WORKER PROBLEMS"
Eric is the front office manager and one day Scott, one of his subordinates, knocked on his office door and after a small-talk he asked if it would be possible to be transferred to the F&B department of the hotel. Eric was shocked as Scott was one of his best employees and
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Miscellaneous (view all)
- reflective account
- God's Goodness
- The Ethics of Animal Testing
- Nietzsche's concept of the ubermensch is a compelling vision...
- DIFERENT LEARNING STYLES
- Life Experiences at ELRI Program
- International Resort & Spa Management
- Puerto Rican emigrants to US
- Red and Mark Rothko
- Graded unit : Impact of Zumba on womens participation levels...
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.