- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
What are the key features of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT?) - How does CBT differ from more
The first 200 words of this essay...
What are the key features of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)? - How does CBT differ from more "person centred" approaches?
In the first century AD, the Stoic philosopher Epictetus observed that people are not disturbed by the events that happen, more so by the view that they take of them (Woolfe and Dryden, 1996). The view a person takes of an event depends on their chosen orientation, and their orientation is influenced by their beliefs about their self in relation to the world (Woolfe and Dryden, 1996). This is the theoretical origin of contemporary Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, one of the major orientations of psychotherapy deriving from cognitive and behavioural psychological models of human behaviour (Grazebrook and Garland, 2005).
The earlier of the two approaches was behaviourism, created by JB Watson in 1919 when academic psychology was in its infancy. Watson believed psychology need only concern itself with overtly observable phenomena, not invisible thoughts and images (McLeod, 2003). One of the primary theories pioneered by behaviourists such as Skinner, Watson, Pavlov, Tolman and Thorndike was that all behaviour and beliefs must be learned, and controlled laboratory experiments proceeded to discover how they were learned (McLeod, 2003). Pavlov's (1927)
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Miscellaneous (view all)
- Reflective account
- Narrative Essay
- Egypt: A water strapped country vulnerable to water pollutio...
- Enfoque basado en procesos
- The Picture of Dorian Gray Sketch
- International Resort & Spa Management
- Puerto Rican emigrants to US
- Red and Mark Rothko
- Graded unit : Impact of Zumba on womens participation levels...
- Determining vitamin C content in Orange Juice
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.