- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Enzyme studies using acid Phosphate. This experiment will investigate the effect of pH on enzyme activities.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Enzyme studies using acid Phosphate
This experiment will investigate the effect of pH on enzyme activities. Enzymes are biological catalyst, made of protein and held together by peptide bonds. Catalyst accelerates the rate of reaction by lowering the activation energy. The rate of reaction is dependent on several factors which include pH, temperature. Another dependent factor which is worth considering is the product and substrate concentration, which become a rate limiting factor at certain point during the catalytic process.
Acid phosphatase is the name given to a general enzyme activity which is present in most eukaryotic cells. This enzyme hydrolyzes a phosphate group from a variety of natural and artificial substrates.
The substrate for an acid phosphatase reaction must contain a phosphate functional group attached to another molecule through a chemical bond involving the phosphate and a hydroxyl (-OH) or alcohol functional group. The products of the reaction are the free phosphate group and the rest of the molecule with a free -OH group.
The artificial substrate is called Para-nitro-phenyl phosphate. When acid phosphatase acts upon p-nitrophenyl phosphate the products are a free phosphate group and a substance called Para-nitro-phenol, which is
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Chemistry (view all)
- Intermolecular forces. In our experiment we want to find out...
- Determining the concentration of copper(II) ions
- Separation and Identification of Organic Unknowns.
- Ion exchange
- Investigate physical and chemical properties of known and un...
- Determination of the density of an unknown liquid
- SN1 Reaction: Preparation of Cyclohexyl Chloride
- Copper Penny Lab Report - measuring density.
- Forensic Chemistry - Ion Selective Electrode. The objective...
- The objectives of this experiment are to synthesis 1-bromobu...
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student