- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Absolutism And Relativism.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Absolutism And Relativism
Absolutism is to maintain that some things are right and other things are wrong, and that these things are fixed for all time, in all situations and for all people. This is also known as hard universalism - it denies plural morality and insists there is only one universal moral code. Moral rules are a priori, meaning that moral laws can be found without experience because they are inherently right, without taking account of the outcome, circumstance, culture or opinion.
For example, in Christianity the Ten Commandments guide the way to knowing what one should not do: "Do not murder", "Do not steal", "Do not bear false witness" etc. An example of an ethical absolutist is St Thomas Aquinas, who believed in a fixed divine law (Natural Moral Law). Aquinas' basic law of natural moral law: "...that good is to be done and pursued, and evil is to be avoided..." which expresses an absolutist perspective.
Another absolutist, Plato, argued that goodness, the highest form of reality, was an absolute thing that existed eternally and beyond this world, occupied by forms or ideas, which are the true reality. For example, a beautiful
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Religion in Society (view all)
- Suicide: Selfish or Selfless?
- In the article "The Right to Die", Patrick Nowell-...
- Teen suicide has become a major issue in society today. Tech...
- Adam Smith An outline biography
- Discuss Kohlberg's theory of Moral Development, use psycholo...
- I will examine the cultural expression of religion, and disc...
- I have decided to look at three articles that are related to...
- The Christian Cultural Heritage of the USA. Thomas Jefferso...
- The Changing Role of the Catholic Church in Latin America
- The Catholic Church analyzed. The reoccurring presence of s...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.