- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Explain in your own words what you understand either by the term disciplinary society
The first 200 words of this essay...
Topic: Explain in your own words what you understand either by the term 'disciplinary society'
Discipline means agreement to a superior authority. Accommodating the norms of the family, society, the instructions of elders and obeying them is also discipline. Yet, discipline means accepting punishments for violation. The discipline in addition means training of mind and character, rising self-control and the custom of obedience. We live in a democracy. Democracy is based on the willpower of majority of its citizens. It has to be accepted and obeyed. If not democracy loses its meaning and leads to anarchy. Some argue that discipline limits liberty and that also kills the man's initiative. In my opinion this is a wrong view. In this paper I try to explain what disciplinary society means and why is discipline so important in our life.
Discipline might be divided into two wide categories, external and internal. External discipline is that which is compulsory by outside authority. It is often connected with authority and force. For example, discipline in the army is one such. As Tennyson (2007, p. 215) said "Theirs not to make reply. Theirs not to reason why, theirs nut to do and die.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Theory (view all)
- What is sociology?
- Personal Statement
- Educational success is closely related to social class origi...
- Do Chimpanzees have a Theory of Mind
- To what extent has housing policy contributed to social excl...
- Theories on the Family
- In this essay, I will examine the subject of celebrity cultu...
- The Development of Sociology in the Age of Enlightenment.
- Compare and contrast two models of policy making you have st...
- The Ideology of Racism: My understanding
""Zoey. University Student.
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.