- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
This assignment aims to explore communication theories and how the nurse uses communication in her role.
The first 200 words of this essay...
This assignment aims to explore communication theories and how the nurse uses communication in her role. This will be achieved by defining communication, discussing the different types of communication, explaining communication in nursing and integrating the theory of communication to clinical practice.
Communication is the process of sending, receiving and decoding information between two or more people. Ellis et al (2003) concluded that 'communication is made up of a sender, a receiver and a message which is set in a particular context.' However Schuster (2000) believes that 'communication is the use of words and behaviours to construct, send and interpret messages.' Schuster's (2000) views link together verbal and non verbal communication whilst Ellis et al (2003) definition focuses on verbal communication.
Communication has two parts a verbal and a non verbal message. Verbal communication is communication which is spoken; however word meanings can change due to paralanguage which is tone, pitch and volume. Argyle (1975) states that paralinguistics can change whilst the interaction is taking place. This could change by the nurse speaking in a higher voice.
Faulker (1998) identifies that the aim of interviewing a patient is to identify their problems. On reflection to practice
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Nursing (view all)
- Law and Ethics in Nursing. The aim of this assignment is to...
- Reflective Essay
- In this essay I am going to write on issues of confidentiali...
- Ethic Gaining consent
- Reflective account on practice-communication
- Osteoporosis, which means porous bone, is a disease in which...
- The objective of this assignment is to critically evaluate t...
- Reflection essay on vital signs using Driscoll's model
- This assignment will examine the management of one acute pro...
- A Critical Appraisal of a Published Piece of Research Relat...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.