- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
How much of ones life is governed by fate?
The first 200 words of this essay...
HOW MUCH OF ONES LIFE IS GOVERNED BY FATE?
In times of Greek Mythology, it was believed that there were gods for the elements and feelings. It was also believed that their lives were governed by these gods and in more particular the Fates. The fates were three goddesses who determined a human's life and their destiny. These fates were believed apparition to each person at birth and would sign of good and evil, the extent on the good or evil was then determined by the human's own way. In Oedipus, when he is born, his father hears the news of what is to come from the fates and then tries to kill his son to prevent the horrific things happening, so really, Oedipus' life was fully governed by fate, from his birth right to his demise. Most often, the fates appeared as old and somber women, slightly similar to the witches in Macbeth. These fates were also known as the three "weavers" One would spin the thread of life, one would dispense the string determining its span and assigned a destiny to each person, and the last one carried the shears, which cut the thread of life
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Classics (view all)
- Compare and contrast the portrayal of the Gods in Virgil's A...
- Literary Elements in The Bluest Eye
- Cinderella - play script
- Compare the portrayal of Dido in the Aeneid to that of Calyp...
- Compare and contrast Oedipus Rex and Faustus as tragedies.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.