- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Identification of carbonyl compounds by preparing their derivatives
The first 200 words of this essay...
S.K.H. Lam Woo Memorial Secondary School
F.7 Chemistry Laboratory Report
Name: Chan Ching Wai Class: F.7H (2)
Experiment 3: Identification of carbonyl compounds by preparing their derivatives
Date of Experiment: 15-10-2010
To identify an unknown carbonyl compound by determining the melting point of it's derivative formed from the reaction with 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine solution.
In the experiment, carbonyl compound underwent condensation reaction with 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine solution to form 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazone. The solid formed was then purified by recrystallization in order to give an accurate, distinct melting point. As the 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazone formed from different carbonyl compound would have different boiling points, by matching the measured boiling point with that stated officially, the type of carbonyl compound could be identified.
Carbonyl compound contained a C=O functional group which was polar. The electron cloud was displaced to the more electronegative oxygen atom and made the carbonyl carbon partial positive. The carbonyl carbon was hence electron deficient and susceptible to attack by electron rich nucleophile.
Carbonyl compound could undergo condensation with derivative of ammonia. In this case, carbonyl compound could serve as electrophiles and nucleophile at the same time. Water was eliminated
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Classics (view all)
- What qualities and features in your opinion make Oedipus Rex...
- 5 people you meet in heaven
- Greek Gods - The Historical Background.
- 'Does The Simpsons promote family values or set bad examples...
- What qualities of character does Odysseus show in facing the...
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.