- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The City Dionysia - Dionysus on His Festival
The first 200 words of this essay...
The City Dionysia
Dionysus on His Festival
I am the son of Zeus and Semele. I am Dionysus, God of wine, drama, laughter and fertility. Those who do not believe this I will punish and these are not feeble words for I showed no mercy to Pentheus of Thebes. He who claimed that I was no God and that I died in the same lightning flash as my mother. Everyone knows that my father is the Almighty Zeus and that I am a true God. I will bring pain to those who do not believe in this.
I do not just have one festival in honour of me but four. The Anthesteria, the Lenaia, the Country Dionysia and the biggest off all, aptly named the Great Dionysia. However before the processions can begin I must first bless the land to awaken the spring. The Spring Festival, a great procession, assisted with my two attendants to join me when I shall bring food and merriment back to Athens. Crowds of people will follow me and why shouldn't they? For I pass through the farms and the fields of Athens blessing the land so that the upcoming harvest
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Classics (view all)
- In what way if at all does Herodotus overemphasize the role ...
- Cinderella - play script
- To what extent did Augustus use the building programme to be...
- Chem Lab Report (Paper Chromatography)
- The role of the Chorus in Oedipus Rex
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student