- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Death of a salesman - Why did Willy commit suicide? What did his suicide represent?
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Arthur Miller and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Death of a salesman
Why did Willy commit suicide? What did his suicide represent?
Willy commits suicide in the last scene of Act 2, the audience are left to let there minds finish the play as 'the car speeds off' and the next thing the audience see is the Family at the funeral. The scene leading up to the suicide is a confrontation between Biff and Willy, this confrontation exposes the essential gridlock of their relationship arguable caused by Willy's affair. Willy desperately wants Biff to think of him as successful like his Uncle Ben rather than a 'useless bum.' Biff wants to leave and for Willy to forget about him so he can continue his life without the ongoing pressures from his father and live his life how he wants to instead of the carrying the weight of his fathers dreams.
When Biff and Happy return to the house with a bunch of roses for Linda but she throws the flowers to the floor, and tells them to leave and accuses them of leaving there self destructing father in the restaurant bathroom. Happy denies all the accusations but Biff admits his mother's
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Arthur Miller (view all)
- The Relationship between father and son in 'All my Sons'
- Quotes from All My Sons
- Death of a Salesman: Is Willy Loman a tragic hero or a tragi...
- Examine the relationship between Willy and his sons in "...
- A View from the Bridge - Mr. Alfieri's role.
- Explore the ways in which Miller uses symbolism to emphasise...
- Is it fair to say that Beatrice is a tragic victim in A View...
- How does Miller force us to judge all the characters in Act ...
- To what extent is Willy Loman betrayed in the play Death of ...
- To what extent are symbols used to convey the tragic death o...
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'