- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
short stories essay
The first 200 words of this essay...
Consider how narrative elements such as language, setting, point of view, characterisation and structure contribute to the way we regard issues such as race or gender in the short stories you have studied.
The art of narrative fiction lies only superficially on the basis of content - Rather, the use of narrative elements greatly contribute to the way we interpret issues such as race and gender. Boys to Wanton Flies by Michael Wilding uses a range of figurative language to challenge the dominant idea of males being tough and unafraid. This is further exemplified by the strong characterisation of the protagonist, Lionel and his contrast with the antagonist. In addition, the intertexuality used by Sheila Morehead in At Seventeen, allow the reader to produce an alternative reading and therefore question the dominant gender roles and expectations of society. Furthermore, The Test by Angelica Gibbs and A Way of Talking, by Patricia Grace, are able to achieve opposing messages concerning racial discrimination through the use of third person and first person narration respectively. The use of narrative elements such as language, characterisation and point of view enable a story to not only entertain, but effect the way we
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Language: Context, Genre & Frameworks (view all)
- Language Aquisition Notes
- Exploring the genre and style of the Political Interview - P...
- Symbolism in The Kite Runner
- Outline and Evaluate Chomsky's Approach to Language Acquisit...
- Child Language Acquisition
- Language Investigation. This essay will show the evolvement...
- How do three different types of reports of the death of Tony...
- Text Commentary - Text 25 (Food Glorious Food Anthology)
- Text Commentary - Text 17 (Food Glorious Food Anthology)
- Text Comparision - Food in "Oliver Twist" and Pete...
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'