- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
That that is, is: A Study of Homoeroticism in Twelfth Night
The first 200 words of this essay...
That that is, is:
A Study of Homoeroticism in Twelfth Night
Twelfth Night is a major site for homoerotic discourse in queer studies. However, the play is largely concerned with the idea of love, like many of Shakespeare's comedies. In order to investigate his subject further, Shakespeare periodically uses homoeroticism in order to represent various forms of relationships. The pairings of Olivia and Cesario/Viola, Antonio and Sebastian, and Orsino and Cesario/Viola, demonstrate that same-sex erotic attraction is a major theme in the play. Viola's secretive cross-dressing causes Olivia to believe that both of them are participating in normal, heterosexual interactions, while in reality they interact in a homoerotic fashion. These complex, homoerotic representations serve to dramatize the socially constructed basis for determination of sexuality according to one's gender identity. I intend to establish that in this play Shakespeare dramatically criticises the idealized norms of heterosexuality (required by his society) through focussing his narrative on representations of homoerotic pairings and deconstructing dominant gender categories.
Viola's transvestism spurs various relationships that fall within the bounds of homoeroticism. Through the secret of her disguise, her actions illustrate the flaws of socially constructed gender identities, defined by the socially
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Twelfth Night (view all)
- Discuss the dramatic significance of Feste in Twelfth Night.
- Twelfth Night is a feminist play. Discuss.
- How does Shakespeare explore the theme of deception and self...
- Love in 'Twelfth Night'.
- 'Disguise I see thou art a wickedness' (Viola 2.2) What is t...
- The play Twelfth Night portrays a very good example of loyal...
- Compare and Contrast Viola and Sebastian from "Twelfth ...
- Fools and folly are widely used in comedy to create humour T...
- Twelfth Night. To what extent do Act 2 scene 5 and Act 3 sce...
- How does Malvolio connect to disguise and deceit in Act 2 Sc...
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.