- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Analysing two articles on how the Internet is affecting how people think.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Out of class essay 2
In the essay "Is Google Making Us Stupid?", Nicholas Carr argues that using the Internet has a negative influence on the public's intelligence. By using his own experience, that of friends, and scientific evidence, Carr's main argument is that the Internet has a negative effect on concentration. However, in the essay "The Virtual Barrio @ The Other Frontier", Guillermo Gomez-Pena describes the relationship between Mexicans and technology. He argues their culture, lack of access, and language barriers keep them away from using technology. Carr and Gomez-Pena write that the Internet and technology are indeed responsible for changes in people's lives.
Carr notes his personal example as proof that the Internet changed his way of thinking. "Over the past few years I've had an uncomfortable sense that someone, or something, has been tinkering with my brain, remapping the neural circuitry, reprogramming the memory. I'm not thinking the way I used to think." (Carr 533) He feels that something is changing in his brain and it is not working as it used to work.
Carr admits that people's reading skills change when they use the Internet.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
General Studies (view all)
- Compare and contrast the roles of Napoleon and Snowball in s...
- Should Cannabis be legalised in the UK?
- Should boxing be banned?
- ROLE OF YOUTH IN NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- 'All art is propaganda of some form.' Discuss.
- Should the Death penalty be re-introduced?
- Pro Speech- Capital Punishment
- Discuss the statement " Art changes the world as much a...
- Should scientific research be restricted in any way?
- Globalization vs. Culture: The Loss Of Identity
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student