- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Compare and contrast the population theories of Malthus and Boserup
The first 200 words of this essay...
ï»¿Compare and contrast the population theories of Malthus and Boserup
There are two main theories of population sustainability. They are by Thomas Malthus and Ester Boserup. They have opposing theories on what happens when there are not enough resources for the population.
Malthus expressed a pessimistic view over the dangers of over population and claimed that food supply was the main limit to population growth. He believed that the human population increases exponentially (2, 4, 8, 16, 32 etc.), whereas food supplies can only grow arithmetically (2, 4, 6, 8 etc.).
Malthus said that there are therefore âchecksâ on the population. He identified two different types of checks on the population which would limit further population growth. These are; preventative (negative) checks and positive checks. With these checks he saw them as a natural way of keeping the population at a sustainable level. As if the population went over the crisis point there would be misery; were positive checks on mortality would kick in. As if a government wanted to stop or reduce population growth it would use moral restraint were negative checks on fertility would be enforced.
Malthus said that population increase had an
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Population & Settlement (view all)
- Factors affecting rates of population change across the worl...
- Urban problems of London.
- Many criticisms of the Hoyt Sector Model are similar to thos...
- For my Travel and Tourism coursework I have chosen Marbella ...
- Problems In Tokyo.
- Discuss the economic, social and political implications of t...
- To what extent do you agree with the statement: Decentralisa...
- Using examples, explain the challenges of rapid mega city gr...
- Evaluating China's One Child Policy
- Evaluate the success of one Urban Regeneration scheme or pol...
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.