- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Describe what is meant by Industry
The first 200 words of this essay...
Question: Describe what is meant by Industry
Industry, the long-term changes in types and distribution of global economic activity. In everyday usage, the term "industry" refers to large manufacturing companies, such as the big multinational car companies. In this article a broader definition of industry will be used, which includes all economic activities, in all sectors, and groups them into three broad categories; primary, secondary, and tertiary.
Types of Industry
These are the industries responsible for the extraction of natural resources. They comprise agriculture, hunting, fisheries, forestry, mining, and quarrying. A distinction is often drawn between those primary industries concerned with renewable resources such as forests and those concerned with non-renewable ones, such as minerals.
Secondary industries engage in the manufacturing and production of goods. The word "secondary" implies that such companies are engaged in the second stage of economic activity. They use the natural resources of the primary industries (and possibly the goods of other secondary industries) to make products. Secondary industries include house-building and the manufacture of clothes, food processing, shoes, luggage, furniture, packaging, chemicals, metal products, machinery, electrical products, electronic products, computers, cars, trains,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Production - Location & Change (view all)
- Why did Mao begin the great leap forward in 1958?
- The Multiplier effect explained and with examples.
- The De-industrialisation and Regeneration of the Merseyside ...
- Is deindustrialisation in the U.K an undesirable process?
- The Cause of the Industrial Revolution
- With reference to located examples, explain how the exploita...
- with reference to 2 contrasting countries describe and expla...
- This essay is going to reflect changes on what I remember of...
- Case Study of Rural Rebranding by the Forestry Commission in...
- Oil and Gas industry in Kazakhstan
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.