- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Notes on Managing Climate Change.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Managing Climate Change
Adaptive Capacity: the extent to which a system can cope with climate change. In human systems it depends on available human physical and financial resources.
Climate vulnerability: the degree to which a natural or human system lack the ability to cope with climate change. Vulnerability is a result of the magnitude of the change, its speed of onset, the sensitivity of the system and its adaptive capacity.
Mitigation or adaptation?
Mitigation mean reducing the output of greenhouse gases and increasing the size of greenhouse gas sinks. I.e. targets to reduce emissions, switching to renewable energy sources, capturing carbon emissions from power stations and storing them.
Adaptation means changing the lifestyles to cope with new environment rather than trying to stop climate change. I.e. managed retreats of coastlines vulnerable to sea level rise, developing drought resistant crops, enlarge conservation areas to allow shifting of habitat zones.
> For human systems i.e. the economy, mitigation could involve an upfront cost, to reduce atmospheric pollution to 'safe' levels. Adaptation might mean costs were more gradual and spread over time.
> For natural systems like ecosystems, mitigation
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Environmental Management (view all)
- How do humans affect the environment?
- Man's influence on the environment.
- With reference to either Waste management in urban areas or ...
- The impact of human activities on the environment
- Critically contrast the approach to organisations of the cla...
- (1a) Explain the classification of the selected energy resou...
- To what extent has the Three Gorges Dam project, in China, b...
- HOW PHYSICAL AND HUMAN FACTORS MAY HAVE MADE FLORIDA A CROWD...
- Economy Vs Environment. Development assumes economic growth...
- The development of alternative energy sources is a possible ...
""Zoey. University Student.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.