- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Sydney Bushfires 1994
The first 200 words of this essay...
SYDNEY BUSHFIRES 1994
My case study for a particular natural hazard is the Sydney Bushfires of 1994. From 27th December 1993, to 16th January 1994, NSW suffered a total of 800 destructive bushfires, most within 250km of Sydney. They ran from the coast of the Queensland border, to Bega and as far in as Bathurst. These fires attracted world wide coverage, as theoretically, Sydney had been surrounded by fires and all major highways leading to this city had been closed.
Around 90% of the total fires were started by arsons, the rest by lightning strikes. The fires spread at tremendous speeds due to the dry conditions, as no significant rainfall had been recorded in NSW. Humidity (10%) was low which also aided the fires. Also, copious amounts of dry leaves, which acted as fuel had built up since the last fire. Strong winds up to 50km/h and extreme temperatures of around 30-40?C also accelerated the fires causing widespread damage in NSW.
In terms of social impact, four people died as a result of the fire, two of whom were volunteer firefighters. Around 27, 250citizens had to be evacuated, and
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Environmental Management (view all)
- How do humans affect the environment?
- Man's influence on the environment.
- With reference to either Waste management in urban areas or ...
- Critically contrast the approach to organisations of the cla...
- Deforestation and its impact on the environment
- (1a) Explain the classification of the selected energy resou...
- To what extent has the Three Gorges Dam project, in China, b...
- HOW PHYSICAL AND HUMAN FACTORS MAY HAVE MADE FLORIDA A CROWD...
- Economy Vs Environment. Development assumes economic growth...
- The development of alternative energy sources is a possible ...
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'