- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The importance of democracy
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Politics and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Importance of Democracy?
There was a brief period in the history of ancient Greece when democracy of different kinds flourished in the various city-states of that age; it had relatively short life as a political system. Even the most direct forms of democracy, where all free citizens gathered regularly to make important decisions, excluded slaves, women and the uneducated. It was, in essence, reserved for the prominent citizens who enjoyed most of the wealth of the city. They were the only people who were considered to be sufficiently informed to vote. Democracy was short-lived in Greece, and once it had disappeared, it did not reappear in any recognisable form until the eighteenth century.
Two and a half thousand years later, democracy has established itself as the political system preferred by all economically advanced nations. In the meantime, most people had been governed by hereditary monarchs, autocratic rulers or had effectively not been properly governed at all. So what is it about modern society that seems to make democracy so important? We can identify a number of theories to try to answer this question.
Democracy establishes and protects freedom
Towards the end of the eighteenth
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
United Kingdom (view all)
- To what extent are there differences between the Labour and ...
- Describe the key international institutions and their impact...
- Health Inequalities in UK
- Explain the arguments for and against introducing a codified...
- To what extent are the biggest pressure groups the most succ...
- How far was New Labor influenced by Thatcher?
- Using these four passages and your own knowledge, asses the ...
- To what extent would you regard the UK system as truly democ...
- How Effective Is Parliament At Controlling And Influencing T...
- Explain the arguments in favour of lowering the voting age
""Zoey. University Student.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo