- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Compare and contrast biological and psychologicalexplanations of schizophrenia
The first 200 words of this essay...
Compare and contrast biological and psychological explanations of schizophrenia
Both the biological and the psychological explanations of schizophrenia are supported by empirical evidence which justify their explanations. However ,within the biological explanation there is the genetic explanation which is used largely based on scientific research such as that of Gottesman's research using meta-analysis which looked at the family (including twin) relationships and concordance rates of schizophrenia. The studies used Gottesman's research was scientifically based and because of the large number of studies and therefore the sample used, the biological research can be credited for being representative. However, research into the psychological explanation such as the family theory and the Schizoprenogenic Mother is based on uncontrolled clinical observations as is the double bind communication. This suggests the possibility of researcher bias and no firm cause and effect conclusions can be made. Critics would therefore argue that the biological explanation has much more credibility where research evidence is concerned than the psychological model. Due to the size and nature of the research.
Although research in the biological explanation was scientifically based is was not laboratory based. As there was no manipulation of the IV or DV neither the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Developmental Psychology (view all)
- Bowlby's Attachment Theory
- The five major perspectives in Psychology and their main str...
- Psychological explanations and theories of stress
- How current provision and practice is influenced by the work...
- Outline and Evaluate 2 Cognitive Developmental Explanations ...
- Outline and evaluate Piagets theory of cognitive development...
- Sibling Rivalry
- Introduction to Psychology
- Jean Piaget and his revolutionary approach to understanding ...
- AQA A2 Psychology Unit 3 Relationships: Influence of Childho...
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.