- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Investigation to determine the viscosity of glycerol.
- Essay length: 9042 words
- Submitted: 24/04/2008
The first 200 words of this essay...
IMPACT OF TEMPERATURE ON VISCOSITY
"Viscosity is the virtue by which a fluid offers resistance to the motion of a solid through it."
This document reports on an experiment that examined the relationship between temperature and viscosity. The terminal velocity and up-thrust experienced by a sphere of fixed weight and radius was calculated by dropping it into a measuring cylinder filled with glycerol heated to different temperatures. Using Stokes Law viscosity corresponding to each temperature level was worked out. This generated a range of data points with viscosity corresponding to each temperature level. These data points were statistically analysed. The results corresponded to those indicated by theory i.e. temperature and viscosity are inversely related; as temperature increased viscosity decreased.
This report is in five sections. The first details the plan and the science on which the experiment is based. The second describes implementation while the third analyses the results. The fourth section evaluates the both the experiment and its results. The fifth concludes.
1.1 The Question
Is viscosity affected by temperature? When temperature increases does viscosity decrease or increase and if it does are the changes
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Fields & Forces (view all)
- Using a search coil and CRO to investigate the magnetic fiel...
- Determination of the acceleration due to gravity (g)
- Nuclear Magnetic Radiation
- paper cones investigation
- Investigation into the factors affecting the strength of ele...
- The Physics of Curling
- An Experiment to Evaluate the Acceleration due to Gravity us...
- The physics of riding a bicycle entails many different prope...
- Use the following terms correctly in describing the forces a...
- The aim of my investigation was to explore the viscosity of ...
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.