- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The force you exert on pulling back a rubber band, which will in turn catapult an empty margarine tub, affect the distance which the margarine tub will travel.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Margarine Tub Investigation
The target of this investigation is to find out how the force you exert on pulling back a rubber band, which will in turn catapult an empty margarine tub, affect the distance which the margarine tub will travel. We will not be changing any of the other factors of the experiment, only the force and extension of the rubber band, for that is the variable which we are investigating.
I predict that the more force you exert, the further the margarine tub will travel, however, I think that the force and distance relationship will not increase evenly, instead it would first increase rapidly, then the increase will be less significant, and then rise slightly.
Scientific reason for prediction
Rubber is not a material which obeys Hooke's law and its extension doesn't increase uniformly. Some elastic materials are intended to absorb energy. The greater the force that is applied, more the rubber band is extended. The force in the rubber band is stored as potential energy which is reverted into kinetic energy once I have let go of it, this energy is transferred into the margarine tub as kinetic energy
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Mechanics & Radioactivity (view all)
- Investigating the strength of a Supermarkets plastic bag.
- Young Modulus case study
- Explain how excessive exposure to radiation can cause harm.
- Task- To make a model sycamore seed that can fly easily and ...
- Galileo's Rolling Ball experiment
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.