- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Last Night(TM) builds slowly but inevitably towards the death of Hyde. How does Stevenson engage the reader(TM)s interest throughout this chapter?
The first 200 words of this essay...
'The Last Night' builds slowly but inevitably towards the death of Hyde. How does Stevenson engage the reader's interest throughout this chapter?
Within chapter eight, Poole arrives at Utterson's door in an agitated state as he is distressed about his master. Poole knows that Utterson is a loyal, trustworthy friend to Dr Jekyll; therefore it is natural for him to seek Utterson's advice for his concerns in the hope of comfort and help. Throughout chapter eight, the events have been described in a way to engage the reader.
The atmosphere in chapter eight has been written by Stevenson to engage the reader. Stevenson has chosen to set this chapter on a 'wild, cold, seasonable night' to suggest how violent the events are and have been.
The lighting within chapter eight is very important to setting the mysteriousness and feeling of unease for this chapter, it changes depending on where the characters are. Stevenson describes the 'night of March, with a pale moon'. The paleness of the moon is a typical gothic setting in English literature; this is because shadows are created which can move and change at any time. Due to the change of angle of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Writing to Inform, Explain and Describe (view all)
- Descriptive Writing Of A Beach
- Me, myself and my dreams
- Descriptive writing. Scene at a busy market place
- Describe the scene of a school lunch hall
- A slave's diary.
- Gold: A Creative Essay
- My Experience of Immigration
- This Thing of Darkness (Recreating a line from Shakespeare a...
- Wider attitudes towards text messaging
- Creative Writing. The chief shouted his orders. Everyone ge...
- Morning of the execution. Within a few hours, her brother w...
- Describe a person you admire. Though I have lived a colou...
- Supermarket Description - Sleek, automatic, glass doors slid...
- A Foreboding Night. Ian sat on the curb, his hands buried d...
- (Descriptive Writing) Describe the sights and sounds of a ma...
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.