- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
In this essay I am going to compare two short stories called 'Lamb to the Slaughter' written by Roald Dahl in 1950. The second one is called 'The adventure of the Speckled band' written by Arthur Conan Doyle in 1892.
The first 200 words of this essay...
"From your reading of these two stories explain how they have each used the murder mystery genre to engage the reader. Which is most effective?"
In this essay I am going to compare two short stories called 'Lamb to the Slaughter' written by Roald Dahl in 1950. The second one is called 'The adventure of the Speckled band' written by Arthur Conan Doyle in 1892. Both of these stories belong to the genre of murder mystery. 'The adventure of the speckled band' is a traditional, archetypal murder mystery; it is also easier for the reader to predict the ending of the story. 'Lamb to the slaughter' is also in the genre of murder mystery, but it has been modernized, and by this Rolad Dahl has subverted the conventions. This makes 'Lamb to the Slaughter' very different.
'The adventure of the speckled band' is set in a 1880s home. It is a deserted, big mansion in the middle of the country. With a Gothic setting it is also a very large and dilapidated.
"Few acres of ground, and two hundred year old
This quote then shows that the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Roald Dahl (view all)
- Comparing the Build up of Suspense in "Lamb to the Slau...
- How did Roald Dahl create atmosphere and tension in the stor...
- Explore How The Women Are Portrayed In The Texts The Withere...
- Compare and contrast the two short stories "The Speckle...
- Analytical essay on Roald Dahl's 'The Landlady'.
""Zoey. University Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.