- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
(The British Heart Foundation's contribution to public health)
By Louise Smith
What is health promotion? The term health promotion is used in a number of different ways. According to Naidoo and Wills (2000) these different understandings of the definition of health promotion are as follows; sick salesmanship of health, attempts to persuade an individual to change their lifestyle, a combination of organisational interventions designed to prevent disease, and, an approach and philosophy of care that encourages everyone to value independence and be aware of different factors and individual choice.
Indeed health promotion derives from the concept of health education and the dominant factor is that to be healthy means to be absent from disease, and therefore to be able to promote good health, information of what illness etc is, should be made available to the public.
This was introduced in 1848 when the Public Health Legislation saw the appointment of Medical Officers of Health, to distribute information to the public, in order to safeguard the public against certain threatening diseases such as small pox, typhoid etc, as these diseases were rife in this era. Over the next decade
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Health and Social Care (view all)
- Describe how health and safety legislation, policies and pro...
- Understanding effective communication
- Health and social care, OCR Nationals double award promoting...
- Equality diversity and rights in health and social care
- In this assignment I will be discuss the legislation relatin...
- Outline relevant legislation relating to preparing, cooking...
- Michael Argyle's communication cycle and Tuckmans stages of ...
- M2 Outline a two-day diet plan for two service users with sp...
- Action Plan For Research Into The Role Of A Pre-School Teach...
- I am going to explain the five barriers to effective communi...
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.