- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Walcott depicts himself as "the mulatto of style" in "What the Twilight Says: An Overture. Discuss the factors that may have contributed to this self reference and how this "mulatto of style" has been reflected in his work
The first 200 words of this essay...
Advanced Seminar Oral
Walcott depicts himself as "the mulatto of style" in "What the Twilight Says: An Overture. Discuss the factors that may have contributed to this self reference and how this "mulatto of style" has been reflected in his work and has contributed to the creation of his own voice.
Derek Alton Walcott was born at Castries, St Lucia, on 23rd January 1930, son of Warwick and Alix Walcott with a twin brother Roderick Aldon Walcott and a sister who was two years older. His artistically gifted father died after an operation in 1931 when the boys were barely one year old. His mother served as headmistress to a Methodist Grammar School.
The Urban Dictionary defines "mulatto" as someone of mixed heritage where one parent is black and the other white." As an inheritor of two vitally rich cultures, Walcott descended from a white grandfather and a black grandmother on both the paternal and maternal sides and he is a living example of the divided loyalties and hatreds that keep his society suspended between two worlds. His paternal grandfather was an Englishman from the island of Barbados and his
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History Projects (view all)
- What are the main differences between Tacitus and Thucydides...
- In the time period of 1840-1895, commonly known as the Ameri...
- How far was Henry VII to blame for Becket's Death?
- 'Law and Order in the American West'
- Medicine Through Time Timeline
- Jack the Ripper - crimes and suspects.
- The Renaissance and Religion.
- Dissolution of the monasteries - report from a monk.
- Why was there a Battle of Bosworth
- Explain why the Napoleonic Tactics were so successful.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.